Tuesday, June 7, 2016

While you were watching the xxxxx...

From summer 2011 until late May 2012 the Democratic National Committee was able to keep its base agitated with what I later came to think of as the Lunatic of the Month Club.  Remember?  As the corporate news media declared one Republican presidential candidate after another to have “momentum”, Democratic voters were agitated with the possibility of Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Michelle Bachman, Ron Paul, Rick Santorum, or Newt Gingrich becoming President.  (The last three actually won some primaries.)  We were prodded with the latest outrageous quotes from one after the other.  It is – after all – a pretty effective tactic for keeping us thinking that a Republican victory would be a calamity for the Republic.

I promised myself that I wouldn’t fall for this a second time.  To my surprise, though, the very first Lunatic of the Month, from June 2015, has retained that proud position for the last twelve months.  He is now the presumptive candidate of the Republican Party and has earned the support of most GOP leaders.  And I have not come close to ignoring his scandalous statements.  I pay close attention, and I publicize them to my limited ability so that my Facebook friends will not forget just how scary the prospect of a Trump Presidency is. 

What happened to my pledge not to be distracted by shiny, frightening things?

There is a recurrent meme in the popular culture about distraction.  (And by “meme” I mean an idea that keeps circulating and renewing itself, not a photo with a quote.)  The essence of this meme is that “they” (politicians, corporate media, Illuminati, whoever) want you to pay attention to “this” (Beyonce, the Kardashians, Cecil the Lion, Harambee the Gorilla) so that you won’t notice “that” (whatever the writer thinks is important.)  The subtext of this meme is that none of us are capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time, ie, I can’t mourn Muhammad Ali, remember D-Day, castigate Congress for failing to fund Zika preparation and care about Puerto Rico’s impending bankruptcy on the same day.

This “can’t-walk-and-chew-gum” notion has been a popular idea in this year’s Democratic primary campaign.  For many months, supporters of Hillary Clinton have been demanding that Bernie Sanders walk away from his campaign on the grounds that we must defeat Donald Trump.  And I have seen people on the Sanders side walk away from their criticisms of Senator Sanders’s one-note economism, which avoids potentially divisive discussions by pretending that race is not an issue in today’s America.  Apparently they want to keep their friends and supporters excited about Bernie and criticism won’t do that.

I voted for Senator Sanders in the NY primary.  I was disappointed with his poor showing.  I have written about that elsewhere.  But what interests me is how people on the Left relate to Presidential contests.  Do we announce a boycott of bourgeois elections?  Do we run our own candidates, knowing that in the current climate they won’t even get enough votes to affect the outcome one way or another?  Do we declare that “this” year is singularly important and that therefore “we” have to support one monopoly-capitalist candidate over another in order to prevent fascism?

I will leave aside for a moment the question of whether Donald Trump and his violent, racist, misogynist, xenophobic supporters represent a fascist moment.  The question that interests me right now is: Can we hold two ideas at one time?  Or, put another way, can we vote for a candidate (and even suggest that vote to our friends) without arguing that he or she is the People’s Red Hero?

I am continually appalled by Hillary Clinton.  It is hard for me to fathom what she gains by publicly praising a mass murderer and war criminal of forty years ago, Henry Kissinger.  She has advocated some spectacularly bone-headed military interventions in Libya and Syria and seems not to be familiar with the phrase “unintended consequence.”  She supported the mass-incarceration and neoliberal policies of her husband in the nineties and I have heard no indication that she disagrees with them now.  Would I campaign for her?  Please!  But I am really going to have to consider voting for her in November.  That potential Trump Presidency does scare me.  Nothing will stop me from criticizing and opposing her and her policies.  But I am old enough to remember people who thought Richard Nixon was an antiwar candidate in 1968.  Anybody who thinks Donald Trump is an anti-establishment candidate because the Republican establishment doesn’t like him is equally deluded.

As I said above, I voted for Bernie.  I don’t like him and I don’t think he represents good ideas.  But I was also not going to sit home on primary day.  I was also happy to see how many of my friends, especially those who don’t often pay attention to politics, were excited about his candidacy.  There is plenty of time on other days for me to advocate for the things I believe.  

I don’t think voting for one candidate (or against another!) on Election Day represents an abandonment of principle.  Donald Trump has given form to an ugly current in American life.  People who think they know him because they watched “The Apprentice,” people who think he’s a “tough guy” because he blusters “You’re fired!” people who think he’s a billionaire because he says so and puts his name on other people’s exclusive golf clubs… these people have been given license to publicly parade their bigotry and their petty fears and their hatred of women.  They have been given license to sucker punch strangers.  I am not the first to suggest that it is like an internet comments section come to life, keyboard warriors freed to embrace one another, howling at their phantoms, while Orange Hitler free associates about his personal brilliance and denounces his critics with the worst word he can summon: “Loser.”


I will be happy to usher him off the stage with that epithet trailing him.  That is the choice we will have in November.  I will continue to call attention to his egregious ideas and behavior.  In the days before and after the election, we can also fight the neoliberalism, mass incarceration, institutional racism and imperialist terror of the current administration.  We can even watch puppy videos.  Because we are capable of thinking about more than one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment